March 21, 2006

A Report On Our Progress In Taking Over The World

... starting where Charity starts. That is: At Home.

The Pirate was reluctantly dragged through the nearest local yarn store this past Sunday. So first of all we want to acknowledge his courage in facing a store full of arcane items of dubious purpose and women wielding pointy sticks.

Further, he not only resisted his Inner Cheapskate in choosing yarn (Malabrigo... hey, great taste, PirateDear!), but also eyed the thrifty grey plastic needles AND THEN CHOSE THE PRETTY LAUREL HILL PALMWOOD NEEDLES, even though they cost twice as much.

Don't get me wrong. He complained bitterly about the cost afterwards and threatened to return everything. He would never complain about it if I bought these things for myself, mind you... it's the realization that *he* had indulged himself so unnecessarily that brought on this fit of ricidivistic penny pinching. But in spite of his doubts, he has reluctantly agreed to stick to his guns and use the items originally purchased. I think it's something about my repeated paeans on the 'sensual' pleasures of knitting that got him... he's such a *guy*!

So here we are, poised on the brink of casting on, pointy sticks in hand. He is determined... not to *like* knitting, he doesn't promise that, but to at least give it enough of a go that he can at dimly understand a bit of what I'm talking about when I start to rant on ad nauseum about whatever I'm struggling over on my Addi Turbo's.

What brought him to this pass? Well you might ask!

Two things:

One is that last year I took out two (count them, two!) books about Football, and tried to memorize enough of the contents to understand something of what was happening on the Tube every Sunday and Monday night during The Season. The Pirate is nothing if not fair, and he appreciated my efforts.

The other is Brenda Dayne and her charming knitting podcast, Cast-On. Every Saturday night I leave the computer wheezing over the downloading of the latest episode, and every Sunday morning as the Pirate works away at his World Famous Omelletes Du Jour, I cheerfully play Cast-On at full blast while fiddling away at either my knitting or my email. Evidently it's nearly impossible to listen to Brenda without being infected with a desperate urge to fiddle with sticks and wool. I think it's the new sound-effect for Addi Turbo's that finally pushed him over the edge, although the Pirate insists it's the music.

Either way, we're on the way. The whole Gauge Swatch concept promises to be a hurdle - he's already muttering darkly about frogs and devious women - but I am told that in the next two days he feels he will be ready to take wool in hand.

I'm very proud of him.

One more convert on the road to World Domination. You're next...

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Woo-hoo!!! How cool. Dang it, I was going to throw the Peeved mix into your box, which both Peeve and Mrs Pao got last month, when Peeve won a contest and Mrs Pao just needed some cheering up.

It has the Neighbor song on it. :D

9:54 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

Your hubby just won kudos of brownie points in my book. I hope he DOES end up liking it.

12:16 PM  
Blogger mrspao said...

Oooh... wonder if I learn enough about motor racing then pao might take up knitting...

3:08 PM  
Blogger Eileen said...

Chris~ Maybe next time... I'd love it!
:)

Tink~ I hope so, too!

M.Pao~ Make sure you get that promise from him *before* making the effort... motor racing is above and beyond the call of duty! :D

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good heavens!!
I gave up on learning either (football or knitting) but it should give you a LOT more to talk about.
Uh, I think. 8-)

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed