March 03, 2006

100 Things About Me Part II

26. I've taken lessons in Tap, Ballet, Folk, Ballroom, and Belly dancing.

27. I am on the map. Literally. "Lost Girl Trail" That's me!

28. Although I earned the Title early on, I have continued to improve on my Getting Lost skills, and will probably do so until I can no longer propel myself independently. I expect that the last thing I do in life will be to disappear altogether while heading for the nearest bathroom. Nobody will be surprised.

29. When I go to any family gathering, the first thing they ALWAYS say is, "Did you find us okay? Did you get lost?" They usually say this with concern in their voices. This all comes from having had long experience of me.

30. I am head driver and navigator for my family.

31. I went to Europe for 3 months and always knew exactly where we were, where we were going, and how to get there, even though I rarely used maps.

32. I dropped out of high school on principle.

33. I was accepted by the University of Minnesota without my having graduated from high school or gotten my GED.

34. I once waited on a 3-person table at a pizza place and made them wait for an hour, dropped their first pizza on the floor, gave them the wrong pizza afterwards, spilled beer on one of them... and they gave me a $20 tip.

35. The first thing I ever said to my husband: "Good God, you're completely illiterate!"

36. I love seafood.

37. Except oysters.

38. But I love Oyster Stew.

39. I am allergic to the sun.

40. And possibly myself.

41. I've had a poltergeist (or something similar) since I was 20.

42. We went through a couple years where we hardly ever got our phone calls, because it loved to turn off the phone ringer. We tried three different phones, but it didn't help. It stopped when we moved... but then it just found new amusements.

43. The current amusement is dropping random small items loudly onto the floor just after someone leaves the room. Often the item dropped was not in that room in the first place.

44. This doesn't even seem weird any more.

45. I would think I was hallucinating about this, but several roommates have experienced it - including the Pirate, who is not in the least prone to flights of imagination.

46. I laughed at the end of "Love Story"

47. I think Baked Beans smell great, but I think they are awful. I think it's the texture.

48. I hate Summer.

49. I love fireflies.

50. When my husband broke his arm and was tranked up in the hospital, prepped for surgery and completely helpless, I played 'This Little Piggy' on his toes.

11 Comments:

Blogger mrspao said...

26. Wow! I'm so badly coordinated that this sounds amazing to me!

27 & 28. Map reading is not my forte! I do get lost easily too.

33. Well done you! What did you do a degree in?

34. I can sympathise. I was a silver service waitress and dropped a whole tray of roast potatoes on someone at a conference because the tray was hot. They were nice about it.

36. Me too. I want to visit Maine for lobster one day. I loved Legal Seafoods when we were in Boston.

41. That's a bit odd!

49. I'm going to have to google those.

50. Hmm, there's an idea for pao's op...

11:46 PM  
Blogger Eileen said...

33. I didn't... halfway through I had an accident that left me unable to read for more than a year, and money ran out around the same time, so I shifted focus to my career and never quite got back afterwards. It would have helped if I really knew what I wanted to *do*!

41. I know. Scary at first, and then just part of life. You'd think I was making it up, except that I'm so generally boring and staid otherwise.
:D

49. You don't know fireflies? Oh, that's sad!! Ah, well, you have clotted cream...

50. When you have them all helpless, you have to take advantage of it, don't you? ;)

6:31 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Heh, I'm still giggling about #50! Eileen, really, you are brilliant at this. :)

9:37 AM  
Blogger mrspao said...

I've just looked up fireflies and I've seen them mentioned in books I've read as 'lightning bugs'. They are very pretty though.

10:51 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

27. That is so cool. LOL.

30. LMAO.

33. This doesn't surprise me. ;)

34. *snort* How long were you at that job?

39. For real? Like, do you just need to lube up on sunscreen or can you like, not go out at all in it?

48. ME TOO. Well, I don't hate it, but I hate how hot it gets.

50. LOL!!

11:44 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Oh, and to answer your question -- Debbie Travis is a home reno guru, so-to-speak. She's got a bunch of shows -- "Debbie Travis' Facelift" and "Debbie Travis' Painted House". On "Facelift" she goes in and remodels people's houses as a surprise. She's got great ideas but she's a bitch, LOL.

http://www.debbietravisfacelift.com/

11:47 AM  
Blogger Eileen said...

Katherine~

#34 - two years, until I quit for a job with better hours. My tip average was twice that of the other gals working there. Obviously not due to grace and brilliance on my part. It was due to my having figured out 3 things early on:

1. Smile and joke with everyone, and if you recognize their face at all, welcome them back as though they are a favorite regular customer.

2. Always give crackers *immediately* to families with small children. They will always love you.

3. NEVER let anyone's cup sit empty for even 30 seconds. As soon as it gets to 1/4 full, top it up. Empty cups/glasses cost tips on a per minute basis.

You can get away with being a total klutz if you remember those three rules.

#39 - If there was such thing as 1 million SPF sunscreen, I'd wear it. And I have to wear long sleeves and pants/skirts. And I should also wear a hat, but I have limits... because of this I tend to lose hair in the summer.

All this layering makes summer pretty darned uncomfortable for me, especially now that I am a Big Gal... and living in MN doesn't help. Short of living in a swamp or rainforest, it couldn't get much more muggy and miserable.

Just call me Queen of the Mole People...


re Debbie Travis - Oooooh, I think I saw her once on Oprah. Yeah, I see what you mean!

12:34 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Yes, you're right. Parents do love it when they get crackers for their kids.

LOL.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Tink said...

28. + 29. Me too! My family's running joke is that I'll get somewhere only to turn around and go home (after getting lost) because that's the only place I know how to get back to.

35. Please elaborate! :)

50. That's great!!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Eileen said...

Tink~ re #35: When I first met the Pirate he was reading a Louis L'Amour novel. I made my usual tactful sort of observation - and the poor guy who had just introduced us broke into a flustered apology for my seeming rudeness. The Pirate broke into laughter and agreed that he *was* completely illiterate, and not the least offended by my assessment. Obviously he fell for my charming ways on the spot... ;D

11:46 AM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

You know, what is the use of a laid up spouse, if you cannot torture them?

The poltergeist - that would freak me out.

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed