March 06, 2006

100 Things About Me Part III

51. My great-grandmother, my grandmother, and two of my cousins share with me the same mole in the same place, under the same earlobe.

52. My favorite dish is one that hardly anybody else would eat if they knew what was in it.

53. I sometimes bring it to Pot Lucks, and it's usually the first thing to disappear.

54. This generally makes me feel pretty smug.

55. I am insane about Christmas, as is my mom, and we've built up so many 'fun traditions' around it that doing them all takes up nearly the entire month of December. We're starting to have trouble scheduling them all in. But we try really hard. Because, you know, it's Christmas.

56. We've gone to the Dayton's Christmas display thingie every year since the very first one (that's over 40 years), and finished our trip with lunch at the Oak Room. My mom missed a couple when she was living in the wilds of Northern Scotland, but I haven't missed a single one. I cried this past winter when they started positing that new owner Macy's might stop providing one or the other or both. I'm REALLY attached to my Christmas traditions.

57. I have Scheuermann's Kyphosis.

58. And arthritis. If you've been paying attention so far, yeah, physically I'm a mess.

59. Mostly it doesn't bother me too much - you can adjust to more than you'd think, really. And there are certain gifts that come with not knowing how much more 'functional' time you've got. You tend to appreciate the time you have *now* more.

60. People amaze me on a constant basis. There are quiet heroes all around us, walking around looking perfectly normal - but if we knew most people's stories, we'd be amazed and impressed by nearly everyone we met.

61. You'd probably amaze me, too.

62. My taste in music is even more eclectic than my taste in books. But I don't like Rap or Heavy Metal or that dissonant sort of orchestral stuff.

63. For the most part, I don't like abstract art, either.

64. I adore museums of almost any sort.

65. Which makes sense, since they are great big collections of Stuff that I don't have to find shelving space or box space for.

66. Informational Stuff as well as Physical Object Stuff. I love it all. Museums Rock.

67. At one point or another, I've learned at least a small amount of French, Hebrew, Italian, Spanish, and Japanese.

68. The only thing I've retained is a small amount of French, the words to Havah Nagilah, the words of blessing "Boruch ato adonoi eloheinu melech ho-olam", and how to say 'please', 'thank you', 'hello' and 'goodbye' in everything.

69. In spite of being foreign-language-impaired, I've been paid to translate French and Japanese into English. Go figure.

70. I grew up Catholic.

71. My beliefs are unorthodox and highly individual now.

72. That doesn't surprise you, does it?

73. I didn't think so.

74. I hate extremism, and in response to an extreme statement of any sort I will frequently run out to the opposite end of an argument and jump up and down on it as emphatically as possible, even if I don't believe in it at all. I'm a stinker that way.

75. As I get older I give in to that impulse less often, because in reality it's a waste of time - extremists are rarely good listeners or deep thinkers. For some reason they rarely thank me for (publicly) trashing/forcing them to defend the foundations of their assumptions. Go figure.


9 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Hmm, maybe we need to form a physical mess support club... :)

#75 - My theory is that extremists develop an invisible egglike coating that protects their brains for being able to accept any information that contradicts their extreme beliefs...

9:41 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

54. My Mom makes a chili dish that has raisins in it. People think they're beans. They probably wouldn't eat it if they knew what they really were. She's always pretty smug when it disappears too.

60. I think YOU'RE amazing.

64. Ditto. I'm a museum junkie.

I can't wait for the next set!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Eileen said...

Chris~ Would that make them 'a bad egg'?
:D

Tink~ I think raisins in chili makes at least as much sense as cocoa in chili... I'd be willing to try it! :)

11:48 AM  
Blogger mrspao said...

52. Recipe, please?

55. I love Christmas and I'm always disappointed if I can't do Christmas things I have planned in my head. This is usually because I'm ridiculously busy at work or something silly like that.

57 & 58. I know what you know about physical mess. I'm falling apart.

60. I agree. We are very lucky to know them.

64. Me too! I love visiting them and learning new things.

12:21 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

52. Oh, please share. PLEASE.

57. What's that? Or should I go Google it?

60. Me too.

61. You mean I don't?

9:43 AM  
Blogger Eileen said...

52. Maybe someday, if you're very, very good...

57. Google if you're interested. The upshot is that the disks in my spine are dissolving. This does a lot of very bad things to one's back... currently that means mild chronic pain with periods of acute pain, later... well, we won't think about that now. :P

61. Don't I?

3:14 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

Yeah, I want to hear what is in the recipe....

#75 - Yeah, the nerve of some people.

10:26 AM  
Blogger renee said...

Agreed. You can't talk about food people love but wouldn't eat if they knew what was in it without telling us what IS in it!

And I totally agree with you on people. One of the network news organizations used to do this series where they just randomly chose people to do a story about. They would get in contact with them, learn about them and every time there was some sort of really interesting story there.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Eileen said...

The recipe~

I can't give the recipe, because it's the sort of extremely old family recipe thing that involves knowing how it's supposed to taste and adding stuff according to that, rather than to particular amounts.

The end result is fabulous, but the combination of heart meat and spices (allspice, etc) and whipping cream and vinegar seems to have a sort of fingernails-on-culinary-blackboard effect on people when they hear about it. :D

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed