April 01, 2006

Splinter

The Pirate has already run into one of the major issues I have with beautiful wood needles - one of his lovely palmwood needles has split at the tip, and is catching and tearing at his soft Malabrigo yarn.

This is frustrating, especially since we haven't been able to find the packaging (will the store take a return without it? we do have the receipt...), but it has forced him to 'make do' with a set of my Addi Turbo circulars, so it may be a blessing in disguise. His first reaction was to grouse and insist that he'd never get the hang of it, not enough support etc. But now that he's done a couple rows, he is grudgingly willing to continue using them for a while, "Just to see how they'll do."

I suspect that a great deal of this willingness to put up with them is that he wants to have an excuse to imitate Brenda Dayne's cool sound effect for Addi Turbo's every time he takes them out.

If he and the Vampire start using my Addi's as stand-ins for light sabres, I'm going to garotte them both with the nearest yarn (Schaeffer's Laurel should hold up well, I think)...


5 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Can you use some fine grit sandpaper to smooth out the tip?? I have a nail buffing type emery board that I keep in my knitting bag to buff out weirdnesses, such as when a cat fang nicks an Addi cable...

9:24 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Wow. Splinters from knitting? And here I am worrying about poking out my eyes.

(I hate splinters.)

3:54 PM  
Blogger mrspao said...

I'm glad he's picked up the Addis. Lesser mortals would have sulked and refused to carry on.

12:29 AM  
Blogger Eileen said...

Thanks for commenting - it DOES help, since the Pirate (like Mr. Pao) reads the comments on my blog. You will read of the results of your encouragement soon!

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what sort of critter yielded Malabrigo yard?
I have a friend who knits with Chupacabra, and *needless* to say she takes NO risks with the stuff.

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed