March 28, 2006

In Stitches

The Pirate has my undying admiration (yes, that's a pun, go ahead and groan - we've obviously been spending too much time with hand-painted yarn around here).

Having struggled through a somewhat truncated gauge swatch of sorts, he has now embarked upon the official Knitting Of the Scarf. Without any pressure from me (other than my apparently annoying optimism and chirpiness on the subject of how well he is doing, when he is determined to gloomily reflect on every tiny flaw as being a glaring example of his total inadequacy as a knitter) he has been doggedly *and voluntarily* taking up his pointy sticks every day and adding a row or two. His speed has increased markedly in just a week, and his only real struggle so far has been the occasional accidental knit-in-the-stitch-below.

Which I think is pretty darned impressive. But he won't take my word for it.

So knitters and experienced observers of knitters: Am I leading the Pirate down the garden path, and is he right in thinking that having trouble with a stitch or two every other row is a sure sign of Knitting Doom? Or do you agree with me, and think that he's doing a great job for a first-week knitter?


4 Comments:

Blogger mrspao said...

Go Pirate! Go Pirate!

My first attempts at knitting were tangled messes but with perseverence my technique improved over time. We all know the all adage: 'Practice makes perfect!' I've even given some of my efforts away because I felt proud enough of them to do so!

11:51 PM  
Blogger renee said...

EVERYONE struggles at first. That's how you know whether you really like knitting or not - if you stick with it and really enjoy it, you're a knitter! I learned to knit in a community ed class and was literally the slowest learner in the class. I was plugging away on garter stitch dishclothes while classmates were casting on for cabled sweaters. But 10 years later, look at me now!

6:26 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

It sounds like he is right on track or even ahead of the learning curve. Ye gads, I have my first knit item (a scarf) and it is blobby and uneven and suffers from every possible mistake a new knitter makes.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

I need PICTURES! It sounds like he's doing fantastic though. Much better than I would be. Go Pirate!

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed