March 27, 2006

Home From Foreign Shores

... Or, to be more exact, home from a few miles across town.

We are finally back (again) from sitting the Folks' Little Dawg, and the Folks are home safely from their rushed packing up of my grandmother's Chicago household. We now have:

~A couple hours' recording of the World Poker Tour

~5 hours' recording of STNG

~Two end tables

~A basket of dishes... no, two. Make that three (a matched and largely unbroken dining set! Woohoo! Wait... what are these? Fruit bowls? Egg cups???!!!! TWO matching teapots! Hmmm, starting to realize I got my 'collecting stuff' gene from *both* sides of the family).

~Note that included in that last para are several baskets (if you are a knitter, you know why baskets would be desirable... although now The Basket may take vengeance on me, if it decides to indulge in a territorial showdown of some sort)

~Stainless silverware, and theoretically more to come.

~Some photos and other small memorabilia

And a whole lot of things to be done around the house that we weren't doing while playing with the dawgie and watching cable channels and attending various dramatic functions and visiting nursing homes and running errands and buying stuff at IKEA.

The first thing we did when we got home was unearth the Chicken Wings of Doom that had lodged cleverly in a bottom corner of the fridge and had been lurking invisibly behind a number of innocent-looking condiment jars, producing the most nasty pong imaginable. After that we replaced the Vampire's ages-old mattress with a new foam one from IKEA (it unfortunately has turned out to be several inches shorter than his bed, but he really likes the comfort, so he may just decide to put up with the length deficit).

The next thing we did was sit on the floor and put together the little teeny desk-on-casters from which I am now typing as we speak. The Pirate and I were very pleased with ourselves, indeed - we actually got it done correctly, without snarling at each other, without *too* much swearing, AND THE PIRATE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. And it didn't even truly put a serious dent in his self-concept as a Man (or, more importantly, as a Guy).

You'd think we were Grown Ups, or something.

Which of course was a bit scary, so we made up for it by playing video games and watching a couple episodes of 'Monk'.

All better now....

6 Comments:

Blogger mamatulip said...

He read the instructions?!

5:21 AM  
Blogger Eileen said...

I know! It's a first. I'm SO proud - knitting, and now reading instructions. Next thing you know, he'll be stopping to ask for directions.

Nah... Sorry about that, I got a little giddy there for a second! I still know the difference between Fantasy and Reality. Mostly...

7:25 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Well, it was IKEA, wasn't it? So it wasn't really reading - mostly looking at pictures, right? Maybe that makes it more ok.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

I thought all instructions were made invisible to guys. He's amazing...

What video games did you guys play? I always like the fighting ones that carry over into RL full contact tickle fights.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Eileen said...

The Pirate plays the classics, like DigDug and Frogger and Galaga. The Vampire plays Ratchet & Clank, Kingdom Hearts (very excited about the new one coming out), Sly Cooper, Lord of the Rings, that sort of thing.

I don't play video games much, but lately when I get a free minute or two (ha. ha.) I've been playing a bit of the latest World Series of Poker (which we officially got the Vampire for Christmas, but we *all* play). I used to play a bit of Sims 2 on my computer, but I don't have enough free time for that any more...

10:01 AM  
Blogger mrspao said...

Wow - you sound like you've been busy. I'm also a hoarder. I have my mother-in-laws best crockery and fish knives. I know very well that it is unlikely that I would be allowed to use either but that doesn't stop me from looking for some spares for the crockery, does it?

pao tells me off for not reading the instructions...

Your pixie is funny today : gvgwggie - go on give us a wiggle :)

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed