April 24, 2006

Monday, Monday...

I am just losing ground, here. Life is too hectic, there are too many screaming demands on my time. I keep thinking that things have GOT to calm down soon... and then it gets worse. And at this point I can't realistically see an end for at least another month.

And it's not interesting stuff, either... it's piddly-yet-frantic caretaking, chauffering, errand-running, fretting sort of family-oriented stuff. It's not anything that other people want to hear about (booooring...), and it's not that these demands are ever going to really end. It's not like people are going to stop getting older, stop getting ill and/or falling apart, stop needing groceries and dinners and clothes washed and errands run, stop having projects with which they need help, stop having birthdays that need celebratory food and time (what's with April?!?), stop needing to be educated towards their supposed college entrance, stop needing things fixed or cleaned or picked up or organized.

Sometimes I look at those PTA-type moms and wonder how the heck they manage things - what are they doing or not doing to make their lives look so manageable? I KNOW they are doing as much or more than I am doing, and they just sail gracefully through the chaos, tweaking here and organizing there, smiling and looking cool and competent, never forgetting to comb their hair or to bring the healthy lunches for the kids, always remembering everyone's names and birthdays. What part of my brain am I missing?

Maybe I left it in my knitting bag, which I forgot at the Vampire's voice lesson last week. I didn't forget my knitting, mind you - THAT I carried in my sweaty little paws and threw nonchalantly into the back seat of the car. (I wonder what crumbs and leaf bits it picked up there?) But the bag, with the Vampire's birthday card and my Day Runner (holding schedule AND all the phone numbers and addresses I need to function) and my knitting supplies (stitch counter, row counter, extra skeins, needle stash, etc), and other sundries? THAT I left in a house that is more than half an hour's drive away, too much driving time to add to our hectic schedule. So I have to make do for a week, until the next lesson time.

Which happens to be 25 minutes from now.

Gotta run. Late, as usual...

(As proof of my point, I tried to post this in the am, but Blogger was having none of it, and 7pm turned out to be the soonest I could post it. Everything just seems unnecessarily complicated and time consuming!)


Stuff of the Day: Astronauts At Play

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Breathe in. Breathe out.

6:48 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

I hope things calm down a bit for you, so then you can just spend a day doing something for you. Like knitting. Or reading a really good book.

And I hear ya on the craziness of April birthdays. All I know is that a whole lot of people get horny in say, June/July, because we have something like twenty family/friend birthdays in April. April always takes us to the bank.

4:46 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

"Sometimes I look at those PTA-type moms and wonder how the heck they manage things" One word... Drugs. Probably their kids ADD medicine.

You're fine. Everyone is infected with a case of Blogger-Block or Crazy-April-Syndrome. It'll all even out soon. In the meantime, relax when you can and don't worry about us. We'll still be here. Promise.

10:46 AM  
Blogger mrspao said...

There are five people in our department who have birthdays in April - there are only eight of us! Just do as Chris says - breathe in and out - you will get through it and it will all be fine.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

I'm with Tink. Drugs.

It's spring. Clearly it's simply a case of Spring Fever and OverLoad.

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Sometimes I look at those PTA-type moms and wonder how the heck they manage things - what are they doing or not doing to make their lives look so manageable?"

I have looked at these people too.
They are Stepford Wives.
Their external lives are the hard polished shiny shells that we see and admire.
And underneath - bug juice. :D

Seriously, their decision-making trees are very crisp, they see no shades of gray.
Folks like us can't do that.
We see all sorts of beautiful and absorbing shades of gray and get sucked in by them and have to recognize that "oh, dear, this is shade-of-gray number 459, better get back to the good and proactive black and white" and turn around and pull ourselves back out of it... ;D


Nonetheless [getting into pontificating stride], there will be those times when an especially complex and rapidly evolving inner life or a particular alluring shade of gray...
um. uh. um.
I was going somewhere with that.

Damn.
Sorry. :D

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed