January 19, 2006

Vampire On the Fence

First of all, I'd like to thank all the people who took the time to comment on my Poll... I really appreciate it, and I will happily abide by your wishes and keep the format as is. Thanks!

Thanks particularly to Lady Blue and Cheryl for speaking up - it's nice to hear new voices. I especially appreciate Cheryl's input; I suspect she gets way too much of me already in my BossyBoots mode, so it takes real bravery (or masochism) to voluntarily expose herself to *more* of my abuse blatherings in this way!

On to the News Portion of our show:

The Vampire had his first tournament of the year today, and was very nervous. This was understandable, since his Tuesday night class/practice was cancelled nearly two months ago, and the only other fencing class available runs at exactly the same time as his Guthrie acting class. This has been a huge and painful sacrifice for him, since he loves fencing and his favorite set of friends (his Gaming group) are also in the Saturday fencing class... but the Guthrie class is an unprecedented opportunity, and so in the end the fencing had to take second place.

So the poor kid had to go to the tournament having not had a minute of practice for two months. And to top it all off, when he got there it turned out that the wiring on his epee was broken, and he had to use an unfamiliar weapon - one with a different balance and weight to the one he's accustomed to.

Given the pressures and situation, he did very well and won one of his three bouts against a strong team. He and his friends won the Men's Epee competition, and his team (Minnesota Swordplay) also won most of the other competitions today, as well. So the Vampire is feeling fairly set up in himself and his team, and is hopeful that they will have a better showing against their next competitors than they did last year. Tuesday night practice is rumored to begin again in February, so hopefully he'll get at least some coaching and practice in before the next two tournaments. Keep your fingers crossed!

On an unrelated subject, I finally used up my gift card money and got a copy of Charlene Schurch's "Sensational Knitted Socks". I don't think the instructions make as much sense as the ones in Ann Budd's "Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns", but it has some interesting stitch pattern information, had information on how to make toe-up socks, and had a nice clear explanation of Mosaic Knitting. So I'm happy. :)

The giant mutant caterpillar that is my Red Scarf Project is coming along... I'm not *entirely* sure that this is a good thing. I don't want the recipient to have to do major blocking every time they wash the stupid thing, and so far it is looking pretty labor-intensive. We'll see what happens when I wash it.

Speaking of which, I'd better go to it. Only ten days or so until I have to get it to the dropoff!




7 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I used to fence. Long, long ago, in a galaxy far away... I loved it, too. Tell the Vampire congratulations with my best regards. Heh - I can see him appreciating The All-Seeing Eye of Chaos. ;)

If you ever need toe-up tidbits, let me know. It's my specialty - got links in my sidebar to the simplest cast on I've found, along with the best generic pattern.

Must make sure you get camera in plenty o' time for Knitting Olympics endeavors...

Oh, criminy, is that necessary?
qufkmanj

6:25 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

I've always thought fencing was kinda cool. :)

7:40 PM  
Blogger Eileen said...

Fencing is a great sporting endeavor for those of us who aren't strong or coordinated enough for running or batting a ball. It is a sport that stresses strategic thinking more than physical strength, and has the added advantages of having historical and literary significance, and allowing you to dress up in a weird-looking uniform. It is, in short, an excellent pursuit for the geeks among us (the Vampire and I definitely qualify).
:)

8:43 AM  
Blogger Eileen said...

The Vampire wishes me to point out that Fencing also carries with it the significant added benefit of giving one a legitimate excuse to poke others with pointy metal objects...

8:45 AM  
Blogger mrspao said...

Well done, Vampire. Will keep my fingers crossed for him. I like the idea of being legitimately able to poke people with pointy metal objects - I could think of a person or two who could do with that :)

I do hope your giant red mutant caterpillar blossoms into a beautiful butterfly, erm, scarf!

8:59 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Tell the Vampire that's why I've always thought fencing was kinda cool.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hurrah for fencing! I've always had a soft spot for the unrecognized sports, especially when they involve poking people. Congratulations Vampire!

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed