January 14, 2006

Pointless Updates

The Pirate is doing fairly well today, after a couple rather rough days which weren't helped by his refusal to do as he is told. Last night and today he stayed down more, and today he was bleeding much less.

I suppose it would be bad form to say "Toldjaso"?

I'd like to extend my thanks to the NFL, without whom I would have been unlikely to give this happy report. It's much easier to keep your husband on the couch when the Playoffs are on the telly all day and evening!

On other fronts, the news is less unmitigatedly cheerful. I have been casting on and knitting up the first few inches of my Red Scarf Project for the last few days... and frogging, and recasting, and reknitting. And frogging... ad nauseum.

I'm starting to think that the Knitting Gods/Goddesses are trying to tell me something. Something like 'this yarn SUCKS'. Or maybe that I should give my designing aspirations another good long look. From a lot further away. Maybe the next state over.

I *think* that I have figured things out, and should have a cute project worked out... but first I have to cast on nearly 550 stitches. And I don't think this circular is long enough and I might have to buy another Addi that I probably won't ever use for any project after this and so is a complete waste of my limited funds.

If *this* attempt doesn't work out right I'm going to have to be watched carefully for a day or two, to make sure that I don't hang myself with a skein of red yarn.

Yeah, I LOVE knitting. Because it's so relaxing, don'tcha know...



10 Comments:

Blogger mrspao said...

Thank you for the advice. I'll make sure pao goes and gets himself some dark glasses. He's been in touch with a kerataconus charity and met up with some fellow sufferers so hopefully between my nagging and their stories he will behave himself. I have bought him several audio books for his post-op period so that he would have something to do as he loves those (and hopefully will encourage him to stay in bed and not try and do things he shouldn't)

I've got to ask this, and it might sound odd, but hey, I'm English: what is frogging? I'm working on a little side project at the moment which has some very fiddly yarn so I'm proceeding very carefully!

Btw, pao thought your tales of the Vampire were hysterical.

3:03 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hmm - what size Addi do you need?? I have some 32", 40", or 47" ones that I could lend you. Size/length depends - got the long ones for making moebius stuff - they were shockingly cheap on clearance at Yarn Over last year.

Well, the scarf was sort of a "semi-block" - it stayed in place on the slightly rough fabric of the blocking board without pins. I just used pins on the ends to control the typical end of scarf flare.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Eileen said...

Mrs. Pao - We got the best (if not the most stylish) glasses from the Pirate's doctor. I don't know if this will be the case for Pao, but it might be worth calling the surgery to ask - these are wrap-around glasses that have a 'shelf' at the top and bottom as well, so that the eyes are protected from all sides. They are completely made of rigid tinted plastic on all sides, so that you can still use your peripheral vision. If the surgery doesn't give them out, ask if they know where such a thing can be purchased - the Pirate swears by them, since corneal problems can make one very light sensitive.

The audio books are an excellent idea. Does BBC have an SLP feature? I know our PBS stations do, which is useful for people with severe vision issues.

Please convey to Pao our very best wishes from the Pirate and I.

We call it 'frogging' when we rip-it, rip-it! :D

8:33 AM  
Blogger Eileen said...

Chris~ I knit on the tight side, and have trouble with casting on loose enough (even with significantly larger needles for CO), so I rarely have a problem with end-flare. I'm very lucky and manage a pretty even tension, so as long as I'm not doing lace I rarely need to block for a seamless piece.

I wish I could say the same for my sewing skills. My seams often resemble your Cat Chaotic... all over the place, and occasionally worse than pointless... ;D

8:39 AM  
Blogger Eileen said...

Chris again - Thank you for the extremely generous offer!!

I'm afraid I'm going to have to shell out the $$, though - given the time crunch and the Pirate and Vampire's needs in the next two weeks, a trip down the block is about as much as I can manage, and I'm too slow a knitter to make the deadline if I don't start *today*! Ah, well, in the long run it's not a bad thing to add to one's addi collection...

(does needle-buying count against one in the stash-along?)

8:45 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I think needles are ok. I personally do not consider them part of my stash. I was just thinking I could drop by and we could check to make sure that the camera works on a mac. :)

9:11 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh, my seaming is horrific. But I came across a nifty seaming tip that I think would make quite a difference - a seam roll.

9:18 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

This is why I don't knit, and why I knit vicariously through you. ;)

Dear Lord. 'kfvzgukr' Pixie, why have you forsaken me?

12:09 PM  
Blogger pao said...

Thanks for the tip about the glasses, I have seen them and around here they are known as "terminators" - I will let you work out why. :-)

The audiobook collection is slowly growing and the radio over here in the UK is pretty good so BBC R4&5 will get some use as well.

10:43 AM  
Blogger mrspao said...

I just love the idea of frogging. Thanks for the tips and the wishes. I hope that the Pirate is still behaving himself! Wish him better soon from us.

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed