January 07, 2006

In the Wee Sma's

I'm going to babble like an idiot for a minute, here. Just take note of the time at which I am writing this, then forgive and forget. But it's at insomniac moments like this that I am able to appreciate things fully, without the interference of sanity or a sense of proportion. So I just want to take a moment to appreciate this:

1. Sis, who is a truly wonderful human being and a bit of a nudge, took the time to cough up the html secret of the strikeout to me. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

2. I have discovered the awesome powerfulness of my Statcounter account (go on, try it, the first one's free... you know you want to). I have been obsessively visiting my account's Summary page in order to see whether someone had accidently stumbled over my blog address in the last few minutes/hours and downloaded a page before s/he came to her/his senses. I've been checking up on this far more often than anyone was visiting my blogsite - I'm a bit wired about new toys, and it takes me a while to settle in, gain a more balanced perspective, get bored and drop the entire production. (Look! In the time it took me to write this entry, someone has visited *and downloaded two pages*! I Rock!!)

But this toy turns out to be a lot more complex and interesting than I'd thought. Hey, lookie here on the sidebar, in plain view, a menu that I'd never bothered to even glance at! Buttons to click! And they even DO stuff! Like tell me how many individual return readers I've got, and where they come from and how often they've visited and what website they linked from (Thanks, Chris!) and... and...

Okay, now I'm a little creeped out. Because this makes me realize just how much information the two billion sites I randomly visit in a regular month have about ME. I also realize that some of my regularly visited bloggers can tell what a spaz I am, because they can see that I visit their site, accidently close the window, visit again and immediately accidently close the window again, reload and hit the wrong archive link, go back to the original page, accidently close the window again...

3. I don't know whether I should be flattered or a little bit scared that some people (I won't name names) load my blog and then apparently leave it up on their screen for hours and hours and hours. Either some of you are REALLY slow readers, or somebody has a crush on either the Vampire or his girlfriend, or I am a *lot* funnier than I thought. And I'm pretty sure it isn't the last one. Unfortunately.

4. Someone from Estonia has visited my site 3 separate times! In spite of the fact that I don't have a camera and so have not been able to include pictures of most of my Finished Objects on this site. Estonia! I am not worthy. Really... just looking at the cover of Nancy Bush's book, Folk Knitting in Estonia, makes me a bit faint (argh, another unavailable book to put on my Wish List - I am *never* going to catch up, I can feel books going out of print as I type).

5. I am up much too late, and since I am off the caffeine, I am not entirely certain that when I get up in the morning this entry will actually turn out to have been written in English, rather than some trance-induced form of Klingon. I'd better go now, before I do something more dangerous than drooling on my keyboard.

I think I'll go listen to Cast-On.


14 Comments:

Blogger mamatulip said...

LOL!! I like reading when you've been up in the wee hours of the night.

Very ironic that you posted about this last night...the hubsie was reading my blog yesterday evening and told me he wants to put a tracker/counter thing on my blog so he can see who's hitting my blog.

And. Very cool that you learned the strikeout code. Wanna share?

6:22 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

:)

I know that I will go into Bloglines, see that there are new posts on a blog I watch, click on that blog, and then waltz off to lunch or to a meeting or to clean up cat puke and forget that I have a window up. So yeah, I can see that - and I wouldn't worry about it being particularly ominous! Just interesting (and I aggree - alarming) that you can find out so much about people browsing.

Hmm. Ok, I just shut off java acces to statcounter.com. Now, can ya track me? :)

10:04 AM  
Blogger Eileen said...

Katherine~ For you, darling girl, anything. But I'll have to email it to you individually... the pixie is refusing to post the html tag.

I think statcounter is a pretty good free service, for what that's worth. :)

The pixie is angry with me for not getting enough sleep: pmexbvrp

I think. My eyes may not be seeing straight...


Chris~ Pleeeeeeeze don't shut off your cookie/java access, pleeezepleeezepleeeze (see, I'm not above begging); I'm very insecure, and I don't have enough readers to not notice when my readership dips by one regular (and valued) blogger.

I can cheerfully promise not to track you more thoroughly than just looking at those general 'this is how many people looked at your blog today' numbers. Because, frankly, I'd rather not think about the whole tracking issue. I've never been a fan of Big Brother. Eeeeewwwww...

3:47 PM  
Blogger Eileen said...

Katherine~ I tried to email you with the html trick, but my message bounced back. I don't know your real addy, and I don't want to ask you to post it publicly. So here's a convoluted explanation:

left pointing carat, "strike", right pointing carat, blahblahblah, left pointing carat, backslash, "strike", right pointing carat

Does that make any sense?

(now the pixie is just being silly: mbzldqdx)

4:09 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Ok, ok, you can blog stalk me. ;P

Also, if you choose the view source option in your browser and search for strike, you can see the code in action. :)

5:24 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Um...LOL...what's a "strike"? Is it a dash? "-"? I totally understand what you're conveying to me except the identity of the strike.

:)

Let's see what tonight's pixie has in store for me: *scrolling down* 'gthlgdr' "Girth leg doctor".

9:14 PM  
Blogger vardakeerutaja said...

ok!, I must admit, from Estonia - that's me!

3:26 AM  
Blogger Eileen said...

Chris~ I bow down before your awesome technoknowledge!

Katherine~ Yup, a strike is a dash that goes all the way through the word. I think my entry for the day will be about this, I'll tell you a story. :)

The pixie hints that it may love me again if I treat it nice - 'pqnhugpr'

Marion, Queen of Estonia~ You can't see me, but I am doing my Dance of Jubilation. I love to hear from other bloggers, and now I feel totally validated for the day! Thanks so much for speaking up (and for giving me the chance to see your Totally Cool Hats) :)

4:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NUDGE!?
A shaynem dank dir im pupik.

[cheesy grin] Anyhow, I'd like to point out here that once I assumed a very sweet and active-listening personality and you said to stop because it was creeping you out.[/cheesy grin]
[had to take the proper parens out as your thing said, "Your HTML cannot be accepted: Tag is not allowed: cheesy grin"]

I love folk art, especally tole, fabric art like freehand quilting, painting, but knitting is beyond my capabilities, which is one reason why I don't visit your adorable blog a LOT more often...I can't knit!

1:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good heavens, you snoop on your lurkers a bit, don't ye?
I might have squatted here a bit the other week when I left the ravenblog up as a palate cleanser between paragraphs of work.

You know well that I am the Dustbunny Duchess. And the Cobweb Countess. Etcetera. But because of my Jain-like reverence for the insect life and microbiological organisms in my home, we have been overrun with walking sticks and baby spiders. It is so cool watching them catch mosquitoes and flies and wrapping them all up. The baby walking sticks will sometimes get caught in spider webs, but because they have good motor power, they walk right out of them - however, they take some stickiness with them. Then they pick up dust with the stickiness and now there are little walking sticks parading all around my room with gray dust beards. I often feel sorry for them and try to catch them and take the beards off them.

But that's neither here nor there.

1:51 AM  
Blogger Eileen said...

Sis- I only snooped the once't. It kinda creeps me out, so I'm practicing Avoidance (okay, I don't need practice, but as you say, 'that's neither here nor there.'

Reference 'Jain', please? I'm assuming you aren't speaking of the gentleman in 'Firefly', unless you've actually been *reading* my posts to you lately...

We have a pet spider... well, a generation of spiders, I assume, as we've been watching her for many years... who lives on the lamp atop our refrigerator. She's a beauty, too, very shiny and has that sort of dark 'oil slick' rainbow effect. I'm in total sympathy with your quest to denude the poor little walking sticks. I wonder if we could start a charitable organization of some sort?

10:29 AM  
Blogger Eileen said...

Sis also- You're welcome, and I'm not a Jerk. Well, not entirely, anyway. :D

Thank you for the compliment re my blog, and I return the favor by disbelieving that you incapable of knitting. You simply haven't had the right teacher - I offer my services, and it will cost you nothing (except the plane fare here).

You should visit more often. As you know, this isn't purely a knitting blog (it's certainly not an *effective* knitting blog, due to my lack of camera). Katherine could use the support of another non-yarnaholic!

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I suppose if I can pull beards and other unwanted bodily hair off of baby walking sticks, my fingers MIGHT be able to handle knitting.
It would certainly be nice to visit you for a longer period of time under different circumstances!
I don't know about "Firefly"...I only just started reading your (I might add, accelerating) blog more often as a gesture of support and appreciation for your own kind attentions to my curnudgeonly self.
Jains are the ones who refuse to harm any living thing, carry brooms and sweep the dirt in front of them so they won't step on any bugs unintentionally...though...heh...I wouldn't go THAT far...sounds too much like cleaning to me... ;D

9:46 PM  
Blogger Eileen said...

ROFL!! *snort!*

I agree with the cleaning thing, but...

I just got an image of what would happen if *I* tried to sweep bugs out of my way as a spiritual/kind gesture.

Somehow I don't think the presence of all those little insect smears across the floorboards would particularly increase either my karma or my reputation as a housekeeper!

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed