January 01, 2006

New Years Resolutions

Who invented New Year’s Resolutions, anyway? I want to borrow my dad’s prettiest shotgun (yes, I said prettiest… the Professor has a collection of old guns that have gorgeously carved stocks, and they are things of beauty) and hunt him or her down.

Does anyone keep to their Resolutions for more than a month or so, tops?

I’m just going to drag out a few here for the sake of entertainment, and resolve to break them as soon as possible. Let’s see if I can get them all broken within a week. There’s a challenge I can relate to! I will update this post with reports on my progress as we go along. Do you think I can do it?


MY NEW YEAR’S CHALLENGE RESOLUTIONS:


1. I will start up, and stick to, the new diet. In spite of the fact that no matter how long I stay on it and how much I lose (I’ve managed up to a year of serious dieting, folks, I’m no weenie), the moment I stop dieting I will balloon up to at least 10 pounds over the place I started. Because, you know, I never learn.


2. I will weave in the ends on all those UFOs in which the only thing stopping them from being actual items of clothing is the fact that they are imitating mutated alien-style octopi. I can report on this one right away. There is no way that I’m going to weave in the ends on even one UFO this week. I win!!! In order to make this one more fair, let’s have a vote: since I’ve actually been weaving in the ends on my projects as I’ve finished them during the last 3 months, should I count projects I am finishing up on this week? I know I’m going to finish at least one sock in the next couple days…


3. I will get the guys to help more with cleaning up around the house.

I crack myself up, sometimes…


4. I will get the guys to clean all the brush out of the back yard. HAHAHAHA… this shouldn’t count. It’s too easy.


5. I will not stash up any more sock yarn unless I have less than 5 skeins of sock yarn already in the basket. I will make it really challenging here, and not count the huge stock of Koigu as sock yarn, so I am (due to financial constraints and the necessity of getting yarn for the Yuletide Prezzies over the last two months, combined with a serious bout of obsessive public sock knitting) actually at least one skein down at this point. Getting sucked in to buying at least two skeins of yarn before the end of the week is going to take some serious lack of restraint. But I think I can do it, given the right incentive. After all, I have that new LYS that moved in ONLY THREE BLOCKS AWAY this past year…


6. I will get the Christmas tree un-decorated, properly packed away, and out to the garbage this week, instead of waiting until the week before Valentine’s Day.


7. I will stick to our budget.


8. I will not answer my son and husband on autopilot and at random when I am sitting at the computer.


9. I will resist the urge, when the Pirate and/or Vampire have done something helpful around the house, to reward them by finding more for them to do.


10. I will remember that I am not incorporeal: I will use the handrail when going down the front steps on icy days, I will remember not to bump my head on the @#*&@ water pipe when I go down to the basement, and when I have been sitting on the floor with my legs crossed for a long period of time I will remember to check to make sure that neither ankle has fallen asleep before I make the attempt to rise… especially when I’ve been sitting in a public place, like in front of the Knitting Book section, and I have a pile of heavy books in my arms.


Okay, is that enough to make a challenge, do you think?

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Whew! :) You could join the Stashalong (before 5 pm today, Mountain Time) - one of the rules is that you can't buy any yarn from now until April!!

Oh yeah... Tag... You're IT!!!

List 5 weird things about yourself, tag five other people to do the same, and then comment on their blogs that they have been tagged. Have fun!

12:09 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

8. I will not answer my son and husband at on autopilot and at random when I am sitting at the computer.

If I made resoloutions, this would be one of mine. But I don't. So it won't.

I always get the worst word verifications on your blog: 'bdpezpbh' This one has 'pez' in it, so it's cool.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

I particularly like #3 & #5. Good luck on that one.

Resolutions are a scourge but it's fun to run across old, old resolutions years later and see how many are exactly the same and how many are so staggeringly different than anything that relates to my actual current life.

(I came from Chris's blog. It was the attractively vindictive personality comment that lured me.)

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my New Year's resolutions for 2006 is to get more organized.
It has been on my resolution list every year since I started making resolutions, and I get about 1% more organized every year, I'll wager.
I can't remember how many years this has been that I have been making New Year's resolutions, and don't know where any of my old lists are (I usually lose them inside of a month anyway), but I think I recall that organization is always on them. When I get around to finding the time, resources, pencil and paper to compile 2006's official resolution list, organization will be on this one, too.
Or did I already say that?
Hold it, where am I?
How did I get to this cute blog, anyway?
;)
Sis

11:04 PM  
Blogger Eileen said...

Chris - you are an evil woman, and are likely to end up with the same sort of word verifications that mama_tulip is getting. Thanks for thinking of me.
:)


Kath~ I was *going* to say that I never get that sort of word verification, and that clearly your karma is bad... but then I got this: pukavnuy

Point taken. I'm just not sure that I can do anything about the rogue pixie that has clearly abducted my system!

(oo, the pixie has forgiven me - I'm back to catxz)


Carrie~ You are clearly one of those people who actually learn from their mistakes. I don't know whether I should congratulate you or indulge in a fit of maturity-envy of mythic proportions. Would it be frighteningly bipolar of me to do both?

Welcome to my ramblings. I hope you stick around!

Sis~ You only have 75 more years to go before you reach your goal. You can do it! You go, girl!!!

8:53 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Wait, I got "pukavnuy" yesterday, too!

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed