December 26, 2005

'Tis the Season to Gently Bloat...

After spending yesterday in a food-induced fog**, The Pirate and Vampire and I today happily settled into our chairs for a nice, quiet, peaceful dvd-a-thon. This decision was reached primarily due to its main virtue of not requiring us to lever our Festively Bloated Rears out of our seats for more than a minute or two at a time.

We further decided that only one of our choices had to be of any sort of redeeming social or educational value (‘educational’ being a loose term… HOMESCHOOL ROCKS!); as a result we arrived at our viewing schedule of:

Disk 3 of Season Four of Alias – Hooray! Arvin has slipped his leash again, and now, as an extra bonus, we have an additional and even Arvinier Arvin to deal with. How fun is that?! And isn’t it something to see Sonia Braga and Isabella Rossellini again? In my dreams I age that well…

Passion of the Christ – We’ve been intending to watch this with the Vampire as a cultural education thing, but had been putting it off while the Pirate was blind as a bat. Now that he can read the subtitles, we figured it was time, and given the holiday it seemed vaguely appropriate. We can now give our unqualified review of this box office smash:

Meh.

But I did learn that I can read (subtitles) and knit at the same time, sort of (do you note that hint of smugness, Chris?) - and in doing so I learned two other important things:

1. Latin is MUCH prettier than Aramaic.

2. Passion of the Christ is one turned heel, a set of gussets and 2/3rds of a foot-length long.

Last Disk of Season One of the Bob Newhart Show – A nice antidote to Passion. We didn’t manage to finish the disk, but who cares? I finished my sock…



** Bless my mom for being the chief provider/chef of our unique and fussy-to-make Bouja, potato dumplings, and figgy pudding with hard sauce; bless the Fabulous Susan for gamely eating several foreign and slightly suspicious dishes, for not complaining when I twice lost track of time while ‘toasting’/charring the nuts, and for putting up with my sister's uninterrupted 7-hour-long monologue about birds. You are both lovable and formidable women, and I'm lucky to have you in my life.

3 Comments:

Blogger mamatulip said...

I love Bob Newhart. I think he's hysterical...especially his facial expressions.

Glad you finished your sock.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Um, you hid the smugness well... not. ;) Subtitles sound like another good way to practice reading and knitting!

7:22 AM  
Blogger Eileen said...

I'm smug by nature, when I'm not writhing in agonies of self-doubt. It's about a 20/80 split.

I'm glad I finished my sock, too - for reasons made obvious in one of today's entries.

Aren't we glad we're knitters? :D

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed