January 16, 2006

Flouting Fashion Rules

Okay, I'm ready for those nice men to come in with the white jacket with the looooong sleeves now.

I am finally on my way with the stupid Red Scarf Project (great Charity Knit, stupid designer/me).

It's not only that the scarf is unnecessarily complicated and will require lots of STITCHING (I've mentioned that my stitching is worse than my surgeon's was for my recent surgery, didn't I?). That's bad enough.

But it will also require BLOCKING. Which I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to. And possibly Fringe Making. Ditto.

Really, I think the only way I could make this project more complex in its process is by insisting on knitting it up on The Cat's back claws. Yes, I am quite aware that she's unlikely to cooperate. My point.

So. Having set myself on this perilous and insane course, and knowing that I really should find and finish the Pirate's sweater, what do I plan to do when I'm done with this scarf?

I'm going to join the Knitting Olympics, of course.

I haven't decided what I'm going to knit. It's got to be lace - I have that ball of handpainted laceweight just sitting there, and I can't afford to buy enough yarn for a sweater, even if I completely deplete my stash of Koigu.

Right. Lace. What's the problem?

Just because I hate blocking? And because my one and only attempt at lace so far was a simple one, and encompassed only a few inches of sock leg (and didn't need blocking, coincidentally)?

Pish, I laugh at danger and scoff at the Fates.

Bring on that jacket. I'm not afraid to wear white after Labor Day...


8 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

You could make an argument that it's before Labor Day now. :)

Heh, I've been watching DVDs of the 2000 Tour de France and I keep giggling throughout it and thinking of you. (Not making the connection yet?!) In 2000, Marco Pantani was back in the Tour (for part of it at least). Pantani's nickname was il Pirato - the Pirate. Every time the announcers mention his name, the giggles start.

5:10 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

I can sew buttons. That's it. Anything you do will impress me. Good luck on whatever project you end up doing!

5:29 AM  
Blogger mrspao said...

I've got to ask this: why aren't you afraid to wear white after Labor Day?

Good luck with the Knitting Olympics - I'll await updates!

6:19 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

'Kay, I'm feeling a bit um...un-creative. All y'all around me are signing up for the Knitting Olympics and stuff and here I am trying to contain my two children and not rip my hair out in large, patchy clumps.

Can I carry the torch at the opening ceremony?

10:06 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh, mama_tulip as the statue of liberty! I like it!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Eileen said...

Chris~ Oh dear, oh dear, the thought of the poor Pirate trying to sit on a bicycle seat right at the moment! :D

Tink~ Thanks! I will try to live up to your trust. :)

Mrs. Pao~ It's a traditional fashion rule here that you don't wear White after Labor Day... during the winter. By that we mean white shoes, white dress, or white pants... a white sweater or blouse is perfectly fine, if there is sufficient jewelry or other decorative flourishes to render it Non-Summer wear.

I don't know exactly why that is, other than it meaning that you end up changing wardrobes for winter even in the temperate/tropical zones (which of course benefits the clothing industry).

Perhaps it's important in our Northern climes, too... it keeps us from getting paranoid about someone sneaking up behind us, camouflaged against the drifts of snow! :D

2:54 PM  
Blogger Eileen said...

Mrs. Pao - oh, I may have misread that - I mentioned the not afraid of wearing white because of the opening line about the white jacket with the looooong sleeves!

Katherine~ I think you'd be perfect for carrying the torch. After all, you've been 'working out' in preparation for such an endeavor, what with all the running after Julia you've been doing!
:D

Personally, I think parents who have anyone under 3 feet tall in the house should be exempt from *any* expectations or demands, other than those inherent to the job itself. That's enough challenge for ten people!
"I told her Supersonic is broken" - if that isn't creative, what is?

3:01 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Everything is broken around here. She wants to read that really loud musical Dora book? Aw, too bad...it's broken. She wants me to set up the plastic bowling pins so she can hurl the ball at them, knock them down and then get me to set them back up again? Sorry, they're broken.

Yeah, broken.

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed