February 16, 2006

Glass Menagerie #1




I've always collected little glass critters, ever since my mom gifted me with a few little animals that she and her mother before her had collected back in *their* salad days. I was, I think, around 7 at the time... and I adored them.

I passed my earliest collection on to my son, who accidently broke them (of course)... but I kept the ones my mom gave me.


Way Back When (I won't get into specifics - I was never good at math), I spent a time learning to do lampwork. It turned out that the gas made me ill, and I never truly mastered it, but I did manage to learn a few things. The best thing I learned was to truly appreciate glass sculpture in a way I never would have done prior to that experience.

I won't bore you with too many representations of my pedestrian work, but I present here my second piece (the first is a rather creditable mouse that resides with my folks).



You can see that I was not destined for greatness.

But I'm fond of it nonetheless. I think it's sort of... friendly, and non-threatening.

Don't you?

7 Comments:

Blogger Tink said...

*Snort* That horse is priceless! Maybe it's an evolved species? Those legs help it jump over mountains. Too cute.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Kangorse! How fun!

3:54 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

I think it's cool. Kind of like a horszelle -- a horse and a gazelle. Those hind quarters are killer looking. I think it's awesome!

And I really like the elephant in the top picture with his trunk in the air. You can just *hear* him!

7:26 PM  
Blogger blackstone lampworker said...

Dude! Lighten up on yourself-- that's pretty good for your second piece. Most of us practice endlessly just to pin down the basics. Too bad you were allergic to the gas...

8:08 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

I think it is lovely.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Eileen said...

You guys are so sweet... :)

BL~ I suppose I should have known, I seem to be allergic to just about everything. I tried working right next to an open window, but that only worked if the wind was blowing (rare in summer here) and was not workable in the winter (which lasts more than 6 months of the year in MN) - it's difficult to control the glass if you are shivering hard enough to produce your own friction heat! That left me about 10 healthy working days a year, which just wasn't enough to advance much in my skills.

If BL is Carol... love your stuff, esp. the goddess vases - Stop by and chat more often! :)

6:15 AM  
Blogger mrspao said...

They are lovely. Thank you for sharing. :)

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed