June 18, 2006

Oops... Ack!

I FORGOT FATHER'S DAY.

This might be understandable, to some degree, given my current state of extreme brainfog, except that I've been thinking about it and planning for it all week. I was going to take the kid out on Saturday, we were going to do some grocery shopping, and then we were going to get a card for his dad, a card for his grandpa (from me), and lil' ol' gifties for both.

But the Pirate did a big grocery haul on Friday night, the sweetie, so I decided to spend the time finishing up on chores around the house and the internet... and since I didn't have the 'trigger' of grocery shopping to remind me, I forgot about Father's Day.

Completely.

So completely that I didn't remember it this (Sunday) morning, either. Or in the afternoon, on the way to the folks' house. I remembered it after I'd been sitting for an hour on the porch with my mom, sipping lemonade and languidly chatting about this and that.

Long after the Pirate and Dad had disappeared downstairs to play pool... and way too late to do anything about my belated brainstorm.

*sigh*

Not only wasn't it understandable, it wasn't even excusable.

Because last year I totally ripped the kid and spouse to pieces for forgetting my birthday. I laid the guilt on thick, yup. So the Pirate was VERY CAREFUL to have a card and big bunch of roses at the ready on Mother's Day. He made sure I knew he appreciated me, you betcha. And he made sure the kid wrote me a poem.

I am an idiot.

And now I appreciate the Pirate even more, because I spent the rest of the day pushing, pulling, nagging, coaxing, bribing, and threatening the kid into writing a poem for his dad. In the end I pretty much exiled him to the office and told him he couldn't come out until he'd finished it.

If the Pirate did that in order to get that Mother's Day poem written for me, he deserves a real Father's Day even more than I realized.

(Boy, can that kid procrastinate and weasel out of things! Is there a career available that specializes in Avoidance? He'd make a fortune...)

I don't think self-flagellation will be a good option, since the Pirate would be the one who would have to nurse me back to (something resembling) health. So what would be an appropriate way to show my remorse - and my love and appreciation?

(Other than plain old fashioned apologies: Bee, I'm REALLY, REALLY sorry - you deserved a parade, and you barely got a footnote. I'm going to make it up to you. Promise. I'd cross my heart, but you've already got it, and I don't want to ask to have it back... it's obviously in better hands where it is!)


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Father's Day Pirate!

If it is any consolation, I pulled out a couple of Father's Day cards which pao bought but forgot to send to his dad for the last couple of years yesterday and told him to choose one to send him today (yes, a day late).

2:52 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Whoops. Can you both have a good laugh at your spaciness now?!

6:17 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

Ooooh. I hate when that happens! I have reminders everywhere for that kind of stuff, even in the form of an alarm on my phone, because I'm notorious for letting it slip.

You'll just have to go all out that much more on the next big day.

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pretty much forgot it too. We can be idiots together, okay? ;)

4:41 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Tsk, tsk. I even had my present wrapped!!!

Okay, this year. Normally I'm horrible about occasions.

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed